Head of 3D
slatevfx is seeking an experienced Head of 3D to lead our Sydney based 3D department. slatevfx creates awe inspiring visual effects for Feature Film and Episodic series for television and streaming services in Australia and the International Market.
The Head of 3D oversees the scheduling, workflow, and overall creative success of the 3D department, including personally working on shots and troubleshooting technical issues on a regular basis. It also represents the team to a diverse group of internal and external clients, managing the team’s workload, priorities, and client expectations
- Strong Management skills and ability to manage a team, workload and client expectations.
- Partner with Production Management to ensure department resources are balanced across all projects.
- Monitor workload and assignments across the 3D team, balancing the volume of work with artists’ creative strengths to provide clients with the best possible result.
- Work closely with department supervisors on best practices and participate in breaking down and bidding 3D work for projects.
- Maintain a hands-on approach, while maintaining sufficient bandwidth for the other duties of the Head of 3D role.
- Proactively be involved in 3D workflow, technology and staffing.
- Collaborate with 3D pipeline developers on tools and procedures.
- Cultivate a team-oriented approach across the department and company as a whole.
- Address any interpersonal conflicts promptly and in a collaborative manner.
- Participate in hiring, training, performance reviews.
- Prepare and document workflows and best practices, organizing them to be readily accessible to the crew.
- Communicate a consistent and compelling picture of the company’s position as a world-class VFX studio to clients and the team.
- Strong understanding of on-set technical and post methodologies. On-set experience is a positive.
- 7+ years in 3D; comfortable leading artists specializing in all areas of 3D.
- Highly proficient in Maya and Vray rendering systems.
- Able to perform in the following areas: modeling, rigging, texturing, shading, animation, lighting, rendering, effects, scripting and tracking
- Basic familiarity with compositing workflows and tools.
- Knowledge of applicable software including, but not limited to: Maya, Houdini, Nuke, Zbrush, Mari, Mudbox, Syntheyes, 3dEquilizer, ptGui, Substance Painter/Designer.
- Strong understanding of lighting principles, colour theory, and latest techniques in 3D computer.